The Roadmap to Opportunity Series provides insight to different career paths and education opportunities in Michigan. Think about what career you want, and then discuss different education opportunities within that field with your College Adviser.
Use the Xello Matchmaker quiz to explore different career paths that you may be interested in.
Here are some websites for finding jobs or careers:
- Google (search jobs in "insert city name")
- use this to find jobs and to network with people in your field. Think of it as a "professional Facebook"
- For local opportunities, seek out employers and visit their websites. Look for a "jobs" or "career" tab at either the top of the page or bottom. Also, don't be afraid to go in and ask Human Resources managers if they are hiring. Ask Ms. Smalec for ideas about local employers.
Be sure to have a resume when you are applying to jobs. Also, resumes are sometimes required for scholarships. Here are some resources and tips for creating your resume:
- Your resume should only be 1 page
- Make your resume simple. It should only be black and white, do not add any pictures.
- Make sure your contact information is up to date and you have a professional email address. Only put your phone and email, employers do not need your address on your resume.
- Here is a guide to creating your resume
See Ms. Smalec for a career handbook and resume examples.